Responsive image

Traveling to Canada

This page will provide all the necessary information to help you prepare your travels to Toronto, Canada. 

Practical Guide

To access the complete practical guide in PDF format, please click on this: link.


The weather in Toronto in June is generally pleasant and mild, with warm temperatures and moderate humidity. The average high temperature in June is about 24°C (75°F), while the average low temperature is about 14°C (57°F). 


The city of Toronto, Canada is a multicultural and diverse city, where many languages are spoken. However, the official languages of Toronto are English and French, as Canada is a bilingual country. English is the most widely spoken language in Toronto, with approximately 70% of the population speaking it as their first language.

Time zone

During daylight saving time, which begins on the second Sunday in March and ends on the first Sunday in November, Toronto observes Eastern Daylight Time (EDT), which is 4 hours behind Coordinated Universal Time (UTC-4).


If you stay in a hotel, you will be charged a municipal accommodation tax (MAT) of 6% of your room rate. This tax applies to all hotels, motels and short-term rentals in Toronto and is added to your bill at the time of payment. The current HST rate in Ontario is 13% and applies to most goods and services, including restaurant meals, souvenirs and tours.


Tipping is a common practice in Toronto, and it is generally expected for good service in restaurants, bars, and other service industries. However, tipping is not mandatory, and it is ultimately up to the individual to decide whether or not to leave a tip. In restaurants, a tip of 15-20% of the total bill is considered standard for good service. Some restaurants may include a gratuity charge on the bill for larger groups, so it's always a good idea to check the bill to avoid double-tipping.

WiFi hotspots

There are many places in Toronto where you can access free Wi-Fi hotspots. Here are some options: Toronto Public Library, coffee shops and restaurants, and shopping malls. The City of Toronto has installed free Wi-Fi hotspots in many public places, including parks, community centers, and some city-owned buildings.

Currency, Credit Cards and Exchange Rate

The currency used in Toronto is the Canadian Dollar (CAD). The exchange rate of CAD to other currencies, such as the Euro (EUR) and US Dollar (USD), can fluctuate over time due to various economic factors. As of April 4, 2023, the exchange rates are approximately: 1 CAD = 0.68 EUR 1 CAD = 0.74 USD

When exchanging currency, it's important to compare rates and fees from multiple sources to get the best deal. It's also a good idea to avoid exchanging currency at airports, as they often have higher fees and less favorable exchange rates. 

Business Hours

Business hours in Toronto can vary depending on the type of business and location. Banks, tourist information centers, public offices or city hall are generally open between 9am and 5pm. Most stores in Toronto are open Monday to Saturday, from 10:00 am to 7:00 pm. Some stores may be open on Sunday, but this is not common.


Emergency Number

Here are the different emergency numbers to call in Toronto:

- Police, Fire, and Ambulance Services: In an emergency, dial 911. This number will connect you with the appropriate emergency services.

- Non-emergency Police Services: For non-emergency police services, such as reporting a theft or property damage, you can call 416-808-2222.

- Poison Control: If you or someone else has ingested or come into contact with a toxic substance, you can call the Ontario Poison Centre at 1-800-268-9017.


The voltage in Canada is 120 volts, with a frequency of 60 Hz. If you are traveling to Canada you may need an electronic charging accessory as the voltage and plug type may be different in your home country.

Thank you for your message. The IPPA team will get back to you shortly. You first need to login here.
We use cookies to ensure the proper functioning of our website and some tracking statistics (Learn more).