Vacancy Reference: 25785 / ESPO 017 / 2021 (to be quoted in any correspondence)
UCLouvain invites applications for a tenure-track or tenured full-time position in Public Administration and Public Management (Political Science)
UCLouvain is a comprehensive university offering, in the context of the present position, the opportunity of cross-disciplinary research and teaching collaborations. Within the Social sciences and humanities sector, the position is attached to the Faculty of Economic, Social, Political and Communication Sciences and to the Louvain-Europe Political Sciences Institute that offer opportunities for diverse and stimulating teaching as well as an environment to carry out ambitious research. The Louvain-la-Neuve and Mons campuses offer unique living environments conveniently located at the heart of Europe.
The successful candidate will be attached to the Faculty of Economic, Social, Political and Communication Sciences . He or she will teach in Bachelor and Master programs on the Louvain-la-Neuve and Mons campuses within the School of Political and Social Sciences. He or she will teach: public management (strategy, organization and HRM), public affairs, Belgium's political system, methodology as well as preparation to civil service competitions.
The successful candidate will be assigned to the Louvain-Europe Political Sciences Institute and will contribute to the development of research in public management within the Montesquieu Centre for Public Policy Studies.
His or her research will focus on public administration with an interest in at least one of the following topics: new public management and new public governance, the senior public service and leadership, politico-administrative relations, including their innovative dimensions (digitalization, big data, etc.). A comparative approach is an asset.
The candidate is expected to demonstrate sound methodological knowledge (quantitative or qualitative) and the ability to implement it. He or she should be part of an international network of researchers, but also show an ability to develop contacts in administrations for both research and continuous training. A professional experience in the public sector is an asset.
He or she will demonstrate his or her ability to develop networks in European, Federal, Regional, and/or Local public administration in order to design and implement collaborative research projects or to contribute to the training of civil servants. A professional experience in the public sector will be an asset.
- Be responsible for teaching courses at all study levels (i.e. undergraduate and postgraduate), as well as in programmes of continuing education;
- Supervise the final diploma research (i.e. theses) of undergraduate and graduate students, as well as PhD theses;
- Be involved in (and/or supervise, promote) research programmes;
- Be available to carry out, in the long term, different service activities and take on responsibilities within the University and its entities;
- Contribute to the international visibility of the University through teaching and research excellence;
- Contribute to activities of the University with a societal impact in the fields of the economy, socio-cultural changes or cooperation with developing countries.
Required Qualifications : the applicant must have
- A PhD degree in political and social sciences or any comparable discipline;
- Either studied abroad for an extensive period or have had substantial experience outside his or her university of origin;
- A significant scientific record with international publications;
- Experience in and the aptitude for teaching at university level, demonstrated if possible by formal assessments;
- The capacity to work within a team of teachers and to integrate research findings into teaching;
- Creativity and must be open to teaching innovation and interdisciplinarity;
- The capacities required to undertake high-level academic research: capacity to raise research funds, to supervise projects, to animate and lead a research team;
- Team management and communication skills, including if possible fluency in French and English, spoken and written. Otherwise, the applicant will be asked to acquire them within two years after taking office, in order to be able to communicate and teach in these languages. Knowledge of other languages is an additional asset.
The level of recruitment (appointment to the rank of lecturer or professor) will be discussed if a proposal is made to you, in connection with your previous academic experience. For more information, see: jobs.uclouvain.be.
Our HR policy supports equal opportunities and diversity including in the academic career. Attention is also paid to reconciliation of private life and professional life.
Application deadline: Monday, November 16, 2020, at noon
Starting date: 1st September 2021
Localization: Social sciences and humanities sector
Faculty of Economic, Social and Political Sciences and Communication (ESPO) (https://uclouvain.be/en/faculties/espo)
Political Sciences Louvain-Europe Institute (SPLE) (https://uclouvain.be/en/research-institutes/ispole)
For more information and how to apply, please visit the UCLouvain website.